From: Gennadiy Rozental (gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-19 22:37:48

"Joel de Guzman" <joel_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> You should state clearly that in your tests, you are not testing the
> abstraction penalty of fusion/variant because the timings will
> heavily reflect the stream I/O, not the fusion/variant interfaces.
> IOTW, what you are actually testing is the speed of I/O operations
> (even if it is an empty virtual function-- in which case you are
> testing the virtual function call penalty).

One of my original points was that for the tasks relatd to the output
operation variant based solution will be as fast. And my test did show that.

> You obviously prefer variant, which is perfectly ok.

I am not sure where I gave this impression. Though I must admit that I
personally don't have tasks at the moment where I would apply fusion given
the choice. But this thread actually gave me some ideas where these facility
should be considered.

> As you
> say, actual decision will depend on other factors than performance.
> I actually agree with you on that. I myself use containers of
> variants too. In some uses, it is the perfect choice.

Great. Look like now we in agreement. ;)

Genandiy