From: Paul A Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-08 12:33:13

Comments are very welcome now - many of the more minor matters can be resolved before they confuse the review.

>Also I dislike: "The definition used here is that used by
>Wolfram MathWorld"
>since by this the docs are neither self-contained nor robust against
>some idiot buying and shutting down the cited sites. I am
>sure, even wikipedia
>will vanish some day due to some more internet restrictions
>evolved from the
>pseudo-war against terror (alias war against freedom) or some
>idiot holding a
>software patent affecting the whole community.

I think you are being rather pessimistic here - if these sites go, Boost could too :-((

However we have also included some references to books and academic journals as well,
but the overall size (nearly 2 Mbyte & over 250 pages in pdf already, from 25 Mbyte of Quickbook sources!) is also an issue. Not to
mention the work in producing the documentation ;-) So I hope we have struck a reasonable balance here.

>What I also dislike is the existence of default typedefs for double
>(students_t et al.). This is unnecessary and makes double a
>special type which it is not.

Well I think that double IS special - because over 95% of users will be just using double throughout. So we have tried to make it
easier and less verbose to use double by providing the typedefs. It seems a reasonable compromise to me.

Paul

PS I am sure John will also comment on other items.

---
Paul A Bristow
+44 1539561830 & SMS, Mobile +44 7714 330204 & SMS
pbristow_at_[hidden]