From: james.jones_at_[hidden]
Date: 2007-01-10 14:52:05

From: "John Maddock" <john_at_[hidden]>
> Markus Werle wrote:
> > And yet std::string should have never made it into the standard.
> > That beast is a counter example of cute design.
> > We now have std::string and std::wstring and someday std::wwstring?
> > This convention has no symmetry and I dislike it, too.
> > It takes a lot of headache to get my code switched to unicode
> > since all of it is polluted with the default 95% solution :-(
>
> I hear you, but I still think you're wrong :-)
>
> I think at this stage we need more opinions and some real world usage before
> changing these names again - we're on about the third naming scheme
> already - after previous discussions here.

My quick $.02: using double as the default makes perfect sense. As a developer, you are always free not to use the default. As a library user, you are stuck with whatever the library developers give you - but the same would be true even if there were no default. So I see no downside, and the upside is that the library is easier to use for beginners and for quick prototyping.

-
James Jones Administrative Data Mgmt.
Webmaster 375 Raritan Center Pkwy, Suite A
Data Architect Edison, NJ 08837