From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-12 09:42:50

Roland Schwarz <roland.schwarz_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Hallo David,
>
> I already posted the below to the list, but got no response. Possibly
> it slipped through your attention,

No, it's just down in my priority queue.

> since I answered to an old post.
>
> Ah, yes, the link actually is
> boost_root/doc/html/thread/build.html#thread.build

Thanks...

> (without the last ".building")
>
> Roland
>

> David Abrahams wrote:
>> > I refactored the getting started guide into separate documents.
>> > Please see
>> >
>> > http://www.boost-consulting.com/boost/more/getting_started.html
>> >
>> > Library authors have not posted any working URLS of library-specific
>> > build instructions, so library names other than Boost.Python all link
>> > to the librarys' top-level pages.
>
> For the thread lib this is:
> boost_root/doc/html/thread/build.html#thread.build.building
>
> This link is available after the docs have been built. No stub available.
>
> While trying to update this piece of the doc I found the following:
>
> 1) The getting started guide uses " --toolset= " while the bbv2 manual
> states " toolset= ". Obviously both versions work. Which one should go
> into the documentation?

I think most users who don't know more about BBv2 will be less
confused by --toolset=. Of course, they may be confused later when
they learn more. Tradeoff. I don't find it's a big priority to
change, and since I'm busy... :)

> 2) The Boost.Build ref link from the windows.html getting started points
> to tools/build/v2. This might be fine when viewed over a web server but
> opens a directory when viewed from the filesystem. I suggest correcting
> this link to use the index.html file.

If I find the time.

> 3) The only place I have found where toolset names are explicitely named
> is in the getting started guide. I intend to link to
> /more/getting_started/windows.html#identify-your-toolset. Questions are
> if this is a stable link

Should be

> and how this will work in a pdf scenario?

A "pdf scenario?"

I suppose you mean when the Boost docs are generated as PDF? Links to
web pages from PDFs just work. That page won't be part of the fraction of
Boost docs that are generated as PDF as long as we're going the strict
DocBook -> FOP route.

> 4) I tried to build the getting_started doc on my local machine. But no
> luck. What do I need beyond using docutils ; in my user-config.jam?

That's all I have. What are your errors?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting