From: Tom Brinkman (reportbase_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-13 19:02:47

I started a small project using GIL and will relay my experiences in my
"review summary" shortly. GIL is a very large library with many innovative
features for graphics programmers -- its taken me a few months to get
my "head" around it -- and I still have much to learn.

>> Why GIL cannot be added to the next release 1.34.0 since it has been
voted
>> in? I was thinking that once a library has been accepted into Boost it is

>> good to go. Do you need to add stuff to the docs or do further changes?

GIL needs lots of work to make it "boost" friendly, including the
documentation, tests, and examples. As GIL is also part of the "Adobe Open
Source"
library, which has its own documentation standards, hopefully some
compromise can be made between the needs of both projects. I've discussed
this with Lubomir before "of-list".

My opinion is that GIL has the potential to be a very popular
library, but the documentation and examples needs to signifigently
expanded to include "a getting started guide" and many more samples,
similar to boost::spirit, which is the "gold-standard" for
boost::libraries in these areas.