From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-17 07:58:46

Tobias Schwinger wrote:
> Thomas Witt wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> No (not for me, at least).
>>>
>>> It might not be too good of an idea to release with a bug in that
>>> basic of a component (and even a standardized one), still.
>>
>> I've to admit that I am still in the dark as to how serious the
>> problem is
>
> Using a pointer to a member function without parameters (except
> "this") with result_of causes a compile error.
>
> The problem obviously doesn't break any of our existing tests, but
> possibly non-existing ones.
>
> Four Boost libraries currently #include result_of.hpp: Parameter,
> PtrContainer, XPressive (HEAD only), and TR1 ('using boost::result_of').
>
>> and what the patch for 1.34 would be.
>
> See attached files.
>
> Note that it might be overly careful (I don't have the Metrowerks
> compiler to verify whether repeating that Workaround is really
> needed). If it isn't needed, the first line changed by that patch (>=
> 1 instead of > 1) will be sufficient.
>

>> Any clarification would be appreciated.

My 0.02 euros: it's too late to take this fix this for 1.34. No users
have complained about it, it's a core library that other boost libraries
depend on, there are subtle work-arounds in the code for broken
compilers that could be disrupted by the change. It has the potential to
further delay 1.34.

--
Eric Niebler
Boost Consulting