From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-26 10:57:40

Jeff Garland wrote:

> Well, again we'd need some sort of project / process to approve the layout.
> For that we'd need a concrete proposal, for which someone would need to do the
> work.
>
> Sorry to be a bit skeptical here, but given that we can't even get 1.34 done
> it seems hard to imagine we have time to worry about packaging.

Actually I think the timing couldn't be any better ! I'm certainly not proposing to
change any code / infrastructure right now. But as everybody right now is painfully
aware of the limitations of the current release process, I'd hope that it may
be possible to find some motivation / momentum to start thinking about enhancements
for the post 1.34 work.

FWIW, I believe that the required infrastructure for the use cases I suggested
earlier may be straight forward to add, and doesn't require any formal process.

However, all this certainly also fits into a wider discussion about build / test / release
infrastructure and process, which, then, needs a broader discussion.

There ought to be a way out of this deadlock...

Regards,
                Stefan