From: Cromwell Enage (sponage_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-02-07 00:51:32

--- Scott Woods wrote:
> Hi Boost moderators,

I am not a moderator, but I would like to give my
input on this matter.

> Is there any policy with regard to non-technical
> content on the boost list?

Only if the substantial part of the message itself is
OT (not Boost-related, appropriate for another library
author, etc.) should it be [re]posted elsewhere or
with another subject heading.

> The last few times I've checked the list I have
> been presented with material like that included
> at the end of this message.

I consider greetings and signatures to be distinct and
separate from the substantial part of a message.

> While this particular material does not relate to
> me, some policy would be good.

I trust that each poster's common sense would prevent
him or her from letting his or her greetings or
signatures take the focus away from the actual content
of the message, e.g. by being defamatory or libelous.

> Is promotion of the different religions, ethnic
> groups, sexual orientations and political leanings
> acceptable on the boost-list?

No, but I also don't regard short, consistent,
"moderate" greetings or signatures as "promotion" of
anything. Rather, I appreciate these forms of
expression as affirmation that I'm communicating with
fellow human beings as opposed to artificially
intelligent agents trying to pass the Turing Test.

                              tc&Gb,
                              Cromwell D. Enage

TV dinner still cooling?
http://tv.yahoo.com/