From: Michael Caisse (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-02-06 22:16:18

Bo -

I'm hardly a boost build expert, but I've jut gotten done converting all
of my builds to use it. It was a little rocky at first but well worth
the pain.

First off, what you are dealing with is a Boost.Build issue. You can
find out more about Boost.Build here:
http://www.boost.org/tools/build/v2/ I highly recommend reading the
the "Documentation" link. It was very useful for me at least.

As for the issue you are seeing... the gcc.jam file calls out that when
link is shared that -fPIC will be added for gcc (non-NT and non-CYGWIN
builds). I do not see an explicit callout for -fPIC and static
libraries, which means you will need to add it it. Boost.Build v1 and v2
have two different ways to specify arguments. What I think you are
looking for is:

Boost.Build v2

bjam --v2 toolset=gcc cxxflags=-fPIC --with-serialization
--with-iostreams --with-mpi -j6 -d+2 --prefix=/usr link=static
install

Also, let me point out that there is a Boost.Build mail group. You can
find a link on the same web page referenced above.

Best Regards -

Michael

--
Michael Caisse