From: Glenn Schrader (gschrad_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-02-14 11:11:14

Comparing matrices and vectors is a topic that I have had to deal with.
An important issue here is that there are different ways of comparing
that are appropriate for different cases. It really depends on the
computation that produced the vector or matrix. For instance, say we
have a matrix and we do an FFT along each rows (a common case in signal
processing). One way to compare the result against a reference matrix is
to compute an RMS error for each row and take the maximum of the row
errors for the overall error. Note that a simple maximum of the
element-wise errors doesn't work well in practice since elements with
very small values can have large errors (percentage wise) with respect
to the reference value but will not be significant within the context of
the values in the row. Also, a full matrix technique (e.g. comparing
eigenvalues and eigenvectors) wouldn't be appropriate either since each
row is the result of a separate FFT and the errors will be be correlated
across rows. Actually, similar problems crop up when comparing
individual complex values (i.e. values that have both a real and a
complex component).

The three basic patterns that come to mind are element-wise comparison
(good for either vectors or matrices), vector-wise comparison (good for
either vectors or along the rows / columns of a matrix), and
matrix-wises comparison. If you just need a simple element-wise
comparison then thats fine but it would be good if the framework is
extensible enough to handle more complex cases.

Glenn Schrader