From: Florin Trofin (florint_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-02-27 13:27:12

Hello,

I was looking at the string algo library hoping that I can use it with
my own string class and I have some questions:

1. Is the library designed to work with variable length encoding
characters (like UTF8, UTF16). The answer seems to be no, but wanted
to find for sure. Are there any plans to make these algorithms
compatible with this type of sequences?

2. Some algorithms seem to be strangely named and seem to overlap
existing functionality in boost. For example split() and find_token()
- why not using a boost::tokenizer? I think the library needs to be
re-organized.

3. Internationalization support. I am not sure if these algorithms
will work properly in all languages. For example to_upper/to_lower. I
recall that in some languages, going from uppercase to lowercase (or
viceversa) you go from one character to two (and viceversa). These two
algorithms make the assumption that the correspondence is one to one.

Thanks,

Florin.