From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-02 13:22:38

John Maddock wrote:
> Mathias Gaunard wrote:
>> What's the point of recursive regexes since we have xpressive?
>
> xpressive can do that with static regexes, but not dynamic ones (interpreted
> strings).
>
> However, you can view that as a "seeder" proposal to get things started if
> you wish.
>
> Aside: last year we mostly had "big" projects - write a new library from
> scratch and so on - and as you may have noticed so far only one has come to
> review.

And actually that one is based on an existing Boost lib. Also, it should be
noted that there was at least one successful graph lib project that was an
extension that has been added to the repository.

> It's true that there are more in the works, but I notice that many
> of the other projects had their students submitting patches to their
> existing code base, with more of a series of targets, rather than "one big
> hit" hoped for at the end. I'd be interested in hearing whether people
> think a similar approach - for some of our projects anyway - would be
> beneficial for Boost too.

As one of the SoC project selectors I'm more inclined to look at smaller
extension projects this year. For the simple reason that the results are more
immediate and tangible -- and experience from last year is that these projects
have more benefit to Boost overall. So I'd encourage other Boost authors or
students with library extension ideas to write those up.

Jeff