From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-02 18:57:51

Michael Marcin wrote:

> Speaking of tools...
>
> I like Boost.Build a lot but a major stumbling block for integrating it
> into our company is that our programmers are mostly familiar with IDE
> environments like CodeWarrior, Visual Studio, XCode, etc. A program
> that could transform a bbv2 project into IDE projects would make the
> barrier to adoption much smaller. Especially if that tool was
> extensible so new modules could be added to support different IDEs.

You could use MPC (make project creator). It's a set of perl scripts that
generate native makefiles for various platforms -- various solution files for
VC*, nmake, borland make, Makefiles for *nix, etc. This is the system used to
maintain makefiles for ACE/TAO which is ported to tons of platforms. You can
download the tool from:

info --> http://www.ociweb.com/products/mpc
download --> http://www.ociweb.com/products/mpc/down.html

Someone of the folks at OCI previously put together a set of boost project
files. Those are in the vault at:

http://www.boost-consulting.com/vault/index.php?PHPSESSID=kk5srbfv8nefn8mhg7h7v8qan5&direction=0&order=&directory=Miscellaneous

Note, I haven't tried the Boost files, but I've used MPC on cross-platform
projects -- it's a nifty solution.

As for SoC maybe we could tranlate bbv2 into MPC and use MPC to generate
native files -- essentially using it as the 'compiler backend'. Not sure if
there would be too much overlap there with bbv2, but it would be worth looking
at as an approach.

Jeff