From: Michael Marcin (mmarcin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-04 14:47:47

Kevin Heifner wrote:
> Subject: Re: [Ann] Boost and Google Summer of Code 2007
>
> There are many reasons to prefer the native IDEs build/debug
> systems. One goal of MPC is to allow each developer to choose
> what they want to use. On the same project one developer can use
> Visual Studio 7.1 another 8 another NMake another gmake on Linux etc.

I've never head of MPC before this thread but it sounds interesting.
Currently we are using .mmp files and makmake to generate CodeWarrior and
Visual Studio projects. A .mpp file is horribly limited and we essentially
just use it as a last resort to regenerate the native projects if something
goes wrong.

It sounds like MPC preforms a similar task to makmake just presumably much
better.

Would it be possible to set up a bbv2 Jamfile->MPC->{CodeWarrior .mcp |
Visual Studio vcproj | etc.} chain so we could use Boost.Build as the
primary build description and then use native IDE projects for the daily
work (having MPC as an implementation detail presumably only on and run by
the build server nightly to build fresh IDE projects from the Jamfiles)?

Thanks,

Michael Marcin