From: Alexander Nasonov (alnsn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-05 14:33:15

Ames Andreas wrote:
> I beg to differ, at least somehow. Although I'm with you, that a
> whole ORB implementation would not even remotely be feasible, I think
> a more constraint approach could be both interesting and useful.
>
> Would it be possible to rephrase that proposal to sth. like:
>
> 'Implement GIOP 1.2 on top of asio'?
>
> It would probably be most natural to concentrate on the asynchronous
> flavours of CORBA:
>
> * AMI on the client side (it's in the offical CORBA specs)
>
> * AMH for the server side (it's a proposal by Douglas Schmidt and
> implemented in TAO, see www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/PDF/AMH.pdf for
> example)

I know nothing about AMI and AMH but it seems like a good approach.

> Both flavours shouldn't differ on the protocol level from the normal
> synchronous approach but most probably they will affect the API layer.
>
> Some further points may be important:
>
> * Nicely separate layers 7 (GIOP primitives) and 6 (CDR)
>
> * Use TAO, OmniORB and/or a Java ORB (JacORB or the Sun ORB) to test
> interoperability
>
> * Provide an API to enable tampering with other protocol
> implementations (this would include the ability to customise the
> stack down to the bits)
>
> * Provide backwards compatibility with GIOP 1.1 and 1.0
>
> As a possible outcome/proof of concept I could imagine the following
> (in ascending order of complexity):
>
> * Provide a transparent GIOP proxy, e.g. for logging the traffic
> between two ORBs

If the proxy is the only thing an end-user could try, it is probably
not worth the effort.

> * Try to replace the native GIOP stack in TAO or OmniORB with the new
> one and measure performance differences for common usage scenarios

I like the idea. This would open up a possibility to share asio
"channel" with other network activities of an application.
Do you have a estimate on a completity of this task?

--
Alexander Nasonov
http://nasonov.blogspot.com
	  | sed -e 's/^document\.write(.//' -e 's/.);$/ --/'  \
	        -e 's/<[^>]*>//g' -e 's/^More quotes from //' \