From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-06 12:14:45

Jeff Garland wrote:
> Bjørn Roald wrote:
>
> I'll just comment on the options that I think have potential. The others
> probably won't fly given that bjam isn't going to be dumped as the primary
> developer interface at this stage.
>

>>> 2. Something is created that can generate MPC files from Jamfiles.
>>>

>> This would be useful. MPC itself does not need to be in the boost
>> distro for this scheme to work. All that is needed is that something
>> can generate the .mpc files. One natural choice would be an add-on to
>> bbv2 since it already parses the Jamfiles.
>>

> Agree that this would be handy and would go over well with fans of boost
> build. If you took a particular library it would somehow have to get all the
> rules from the tools/build/v2/*.jam files for a given environment to produce
> the needed mpc information. The potential problem I see is that MPC embeds
> some of this same information in it's template files...so you might have to
> 'templatize the mpc templates' so the nitty gritty details of toolset
> configurations can be exposed.

I agree. But I am not sure if all of this need to be addressed at the
first shot at a tool. I spend some time reading docs for bbv2 and mpc
now, so soon I will have better understanding of formats and semantics.

>>> 4. (added after reading the last section of the email)
>>> Add Jamfile input file support to MPC.
>>>

>> Yes, If the semantics of the information in .mpc files and Jamfiles are
>> close, this may be feasible. Would be fun to try it out anyway. Think
>> I need better understanding of the two file formats first.
>>

> MPC isn't a build system, so it's a bit different. None-the-less all the
> details of how to configure compile options and such need to be in the MPC and
> Jamfiles. Both MPC and Jam put this mostly behind the scenes with a good set
> of defaults. So, this also might be another valid approach.

I guess this can be done in two steps

1. Translates Jamfiles to mpc files (as OCI is now offering
support for)
2. MPC generate workspace/project files (as supported by in existing MPC)

This may be an ok solution.

--
Bjørn Roald