From: Jason Turner (lefticus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-07 17:19:52

> The highest level class in my code is an active
> function class, which both returns a future and takes futures as
> arguments. That way, the main thread can setup the flow of data by
> passing futures between active objects, and then leave them to their work.
> For example, you might have a batch of objects you want to pass though a
> pipeline of processing operations.

Because of this, I gave my active_return<> class the forbidden
implicit cast operator, that way I saved a lot of duplicating what
boost::bind was already doing. Example:

active_return<int> ar1 = active_function(&getSomeInt);

active_return<int> ar2 =
active_function(boost::bind(&doSomethingWithAnInt, ar1));

boost::bind stores an active_return<int> in the second line, but does
not attempt to use it as an int until the bound function is called.
This results in a thread being spawned for getSomeInt and a second
thread spawned for doSomethingWithAnInt which waits on the first
result.

I'm sure someone will take issue with this implementation detail
(which is called deplorable in c++ coding standards #40), but it sure
does make for clean use of the library.

> You can do things like assign a Future<T> to a Future<U> if T is implicitly
> converible to U, without blocking. You can also extract elements from
> future containers and such, like getting a Future<int> from a
> Future<std::vector<int> > without blocking.

Those are great ideas, I had not thought of that.

> I'm not familiar with the boost::asio library, but I suspect there is stuff
> in there I could (should) have made use of.

I am also not familiar with asio and there has been a lot of talk
about it here lately.

> --
> Frank

Jason