From: Michael Marcin (mmarcin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-07 22:56:53

Hervé Brönnimann wrote:
> Michael: You are disingenuous :)

Quite possibly :)

> It is not a boost-compatible
> license, but it is ***open-source*** and that applies to every user,
> even those working for a commercial product:

It is open-source but GPL and LGPL licenses are pretty bad for this type of
library. To use LGPL properly you basically have to use a .dll for the math
libray which is no-go for these types of performance critical problems.
Also those 3 letters tend have the business types around here on edge. To
ensure the protection the company's IP they would make sure we bought the
commercial license. To do that more hoops have to be jumped through to
approve the expense and make sure the terms are acceptable to all the
business and lawyer types. And all this is before we can even use the damn
thing seriously to decide if we like it.

I love the open-source community but GPL is just too scary to go near if
your company holds value in its proprietary technology.

- Michael Marcin

P.S. I've never used source code without having to modify it or work around
it, boost and various standard libraries included.