From: Ulrich Eckhardt (doomster_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-08 01:52:27

On Thursday 08 March 2007 02:01, Emery De Nuccio wrote:
> Does anyone else think that the primary medium for discussion concerning
> boost should be a forum such as IPB or phpBB, rather than a mailing list?

I don't. With a bad mail client you won't see a difference, but with a good
one it's lightyears away. Also, every forum has a different interface and I
don't want to adapt my workflow to several different forums.

> I have a library that I want to contribute so after some time digging
> around boost.org I hopped on the mailing list here, but I really can't
> following any of the discussions, the people involved, or the formal
> process for submitting a new library. Is it just me?

My guess is that you simply have a crappy mailclient. From what I can tell,
you are using gmail via a webfrontend, right? About that, I have to tell you
that this is probably not the right tool for handling a few hundred messages
a day. The particular problems I perceive are threading (dunno if it's
present in gmail) and the browser-latency (I would get insane if it took me
more than a second to switch to a different message).

As a workaround, others already suggested the gmane news-to-mail gateway.
Usenet clients usually don't suffer above problems (provided you don't use
the one provided by google, which is ... err ... not so good).

Uli