From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-09 09:36:07

Darren Garvey wrote:
> Maybe it's just me, but the apparent difficulty of the different soc ideas
> varies quite a bit. As it is, I'm unsure if a cgi library that works with
> SCGI and FastCGI - one based on boost and asio specifically - would be
> considered a reasonable project for the SoC? I don't think there is
> currently any such library for c++ and I for one would find it very useful.

Yes, I think this would be a very useful library -- I have a homegrown one
I've used in some personal apps. C++ developers want to program for the web
as much as anyone else and the libs for C++ are, sadly, poor in comparison to
other languages. Before focusing in on SCGI and FastCGI, what about support
for plain old cgi request decoding and such? Would that be part of it?

> Is it worth my while submitting a proposal? This is something I'd very much
> like to do, especially as part of the SoC.

My worry is that the scope might be too large for SoC though. In any case,
there might be a reasonable scope that could be carved out -- let's discuss it
more :-)

> Incidentally, it's a project which _could_ be 'extended' into implementing
> unix domain sockets or pipes too as technically, these transport media
> should be supported by fastcgi applications.

Is it really worth it? TCP sockets are pretty optimized by OS's at this point...

Jef