From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-09 14:57:52

Braddock Gaskill wrote:

> I just started looking at the boost::futures zip file in the
> vault as well. I'd really like to use it for a current
> project if it is near maturity.

It's far from mature. Just a first (but functional) sketch.

> Can I use it in conjunction with my own thread pool or with
> an active object?

If you write the thread pool or active object support, certainly. The
library as is doesn't know anything about thread pools or active objects. It
just spawns a new thread for every future.

> For example, I'd want something like:
> int f();
> future<int> val = myThreadPool.queue<int>(f);
> val.ready()
> val.cancel()
> etc..

val.cancel() isn't supported at all, mainly because Boost.Thread doesn't
support cancel.

> The documentation is incomplete except for the simple case,
> which appears to spawn a new thread for every new future?

Yes.

> The ability to use a future with the asio::io_service in
> particular would be quite powerful.

Agreed. And I'm happy to assist, if needed.

Regards Hartmut