From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-14 18:51:34

Mariano Consoni wrote:
> Hi Boost Community!
>
> Maybe you remember that I've sent a couple of emails last days because I
> want to participate in SoC with Boost. My original idea was a plugin
> library, and then someone pointed me out the existence of
> Boost.Extensionsand then contacted its author (Jeremy Pack) to try to
> enhanced/complete that
> library.
>
> Last days, we've been working together. I reviewed Boost.Extensions, Jeremy
> reviewed my approach to see if there are any feature that could be added to
> Boost.Extensions. and then we agreed in a possible list of tasks as a SoC
> project.
>
> Now, we want to share this list with the community, to know if there is
> something missing or something that anyone in the community would like to
> see implemented.
>
> Our current task list is:
>
> - Preprocessor tricks to remove template redundancy
> - Provide (optionally) automatic closing of unneeded linked libraries.
> - Implement Reflection.
>
> and the required tasks for the completion of Extensions:
>
> - Finish up documentation
> - Write lots more unit tests, as well as larger tests
> - Submit it to Boost for review
>
> We think that the most important parts of the project are submitting the
> library and doing something with Reflection.

This all sounds reasonable. A question though, when you spec of reflection,
are you talking about 'full dynamic reflection' -- something like:

http://www.vollmann.com/pubs/meta/meta/meta.html

because that would be a nice addition to Boost by itself...or is it something
more limited?

> Another issue that I must resolve is the mentoring. I know that at least two
> people offered their help, and It would be great if we can decide that to be
> able to start to write my proposal, checking it with the mentor and with
> Jeremy.

The deal with mentors is that we can't make final decisions about assignments
until projects are accepted and such. But I believe Hartmut offered to help
during the proposal phase, so I think you should feel free to email him
privately if you want. That said, the more you make public on the list the
broader range of feedback you'll get. Now I realize that, in theory another
student might pick up your idea and propose it if it's out in the public, but
I can't see the mentors choosing someone that behaves that way. And you're
already getting bonus points for interacting with the community right from the
start :-)

Jeff