From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-15 03:50:13

David Abrahams wrote:

> on Tue Mar 13 2007, Vladimir Prus <ghost-AT-cs.msu.su> wrote:
>
>> Matthias Schabel wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having a hard time getting bjam --v2 to function properly on my
>>> system;
>>> it's probably just something stupid, but here's the problem :
>>>
>>> download latest CVS-HEAD snapshot and install
>>> ./configure --with-libraries=regex,serialization,mpi
>>>
>>> copy bjam to /usr/local/bin
>>>
>>> cd $BOOST_ROOT/libs/date_time/test
>>> bjam --v2
>>>
>>> resulting in a slew of errors like the following sample :
>>>
>>> "g++" -o "../../../bin.v2/libs/date_time/test/
>>> testgreg_day.test/gcc-4.0.1/debug/testgreg_day" -Wl,--start-group
>>
>> I would suggest trying invoke bjam as follows:
>>
>> bjam toolset=darwin
>>
>> On OSX, gcc is seriously different so it deserves its own
>> toolset name.
>
> I disagree with both assertions. It's not very different (darwin.jam
> contains only a small amount of additional code), and even if it were,
> the differences should not result in a different toolset name.
>
> Configuring python on windows and unix is very different, but you
> wouldn't call the windows python toolset "win32" instead of "python,"
> would you?

I don't think I see much of an analogy here. Anyway, there's FSF gcc
and there's Apple gcc, both can run on OSX. Do distinguish between them,
you need either different toolset name, or some extra feature.

The only practical difference I know, is that with different toolset name,
if you have a condition that applies to both gcc version, you'd have
to write:

        <toolset>gcc:whatever
        <toolset>darwin:whatever

Such conditions are mostly needed to workaround platform differences,
and I have no idea if having to write two lines instead of one is
big enough annoyance.

- Volodya