From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-16 12:36:31

Christian Henning wrote:
> Since gil has been accepted into boost I could image using gil for
> writing an image. I'm creating an extension for gil using openCV for
> the drawing commands. It's very limited so far, but the basic commands
> are there, like line, polyline, circle, etc.. It's also very easy to
> extend the capabilities. So, why not use gil for saving the results of
> the SVG plotter?

That gets you bitmap output, which is fine in some cases but a bit of a
diversion, as really we would want SVG output as the main priority. There's
also AntiGrain (http://www.antigrain.com/index.html) which seems to have
quite a few fans around here, and looks to have strong rendering
capabilities - much better than anyone could cook up within the confines of
an SOC project - it also has SVG rendering capabilities, and I believe some
folks have used it with GIL as the image backend.

What I'm trying to get at here is that while the project should have one eye
to the future - make it easily extensible in other words - the priority
should be on a designing a half-decent vector-image DOM, with graphing
support sitting on top. It's one of those projects that could easily grow
out of control and not get finished, so a clear focus and development
roadmap needs to be in place from the start.

Cheers, John.