From: Martin Wille (mw8329_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-19 16:50:32

Sohail Somani wrote:

> Aside: Why do you want to bring pthreads into the mix? I know the two
> threading APIS are Windows and pthreads but still... Couldn't you define
> a new API that would be a thin wrapper for pthreads?

Why?

Users of the POSIX API wouldn't want to adjust their existing code for
it. (As a side node, there seems to be significant resistance against
adding shallow C++ wrappers around POSIX functions in the POSIX C++
Binding Study Group List)

Users of non-POSIX APIs would have to adjust their code, anyway.

Transition to "proper C++ code" (for some sense of that phrase) would
require the C++ <thread> API, anyway.

New C++ code could would likely use the C++ <thread> API, anyway.

Regards,