From: Hugh Wimberly (hugh.wimberly_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-21 10:26:29

Well, almost all of what I know and the research I plan to do is scholarly;
there are other areas though, where scholars like to "leave the details for
the readers excersize". For instance, one of the big ones (for DFA-based
regex) is efficiently dealing with zero-width assumptions. I can figure out
a way to do it; I can with dificutly figure out a good way of doing it; but
seeing a good way of doing it before working out my own way is preferable. I
have no desire to violate licenses, or even to push boundries, but I also
don't want to work harder than I have to, as long as I'm respecting
copyright. The reason I asked in the first place is because I need to know
if I should revise my proposal; without using anything but strictly
scholarly sources, I think the DFA-based regex I write will only be able to
handle a limited subset of cases and the "hybrid" portion won't come into
use often.

On the other hand, while the most helpful code is licensed under the GPL,
there is a fair amount that is licensed under MIT, which seems to be
compatable with BPL, so as long as I can (legally) get inspiration from
those projects, I think I can stil manage what I proposed.

-Hugh