From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-22 08:15:28

Johan Nilsson wrote:
> Anthony Williams wrote:

>>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/interopmigration/unix/sfu/pthreads0.mspx
>>
>> Demonstrating that it is possible to code pthreads in terms of the
>> native Windows API, especially if you're writing a whole UNIX-interop
>> layer, including a full POSIX C library.
>
> [... nodding my head in violent agreement ...]

http://darwinsource.opendarwin.org/Current/Libc-391.2.5/pthreads/pthread.c

Demonstrating that it's possible to code pthreads in terms of the native
Mach API.

And NPTL demonstrates that it's possible to code pthreads in terms of the
native Linux kernel API.

This is the whole point of an abstraction. The only reason we aren't using
it on Windows is because Microsoft doesn't supply it. The performance
arguments are a post-hoc rationalization.