From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-22 12:21:11

Michael Goldshteyn wrote:
> I understand the issues, now, but am wondering whether control over
> the "maximum number of states" should be given to the caller or if
> the issue is one of running out of memory?

No it's not running out of memory, just giving up 'cos there's no end in
sight. I've tweaked the algorithm slightly for 1.34 to give up less easily
when the string being matched is short, but basically if you get an
exception it usually means that there is something wrong with the
expression: even if a match (or not) could be found for a short string,
sooner or later it's going to bite you.

John.