From: Corrado Zoccolo (czoccolo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-22 16:09:04

A trie data structure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trie where the
similarity with radix_sort is also drawn) is an associative data
structure where the key is a (possibly of arbitrary lenght) sequence
of fixed size objects (e.g. chars or ints). It is typically used to
store strings, but as you extended the radixsort to operate on almost
generic classes, the same can be achieved for trie.

What I'm sayng is that if a class satisfies the requirement to be
processed by radix_sort (let's say it defines an operator[] returning
unsigned char), then that class can also be used as a key for a trie,
so it is sound (and useful) for a library to provide both sorting and
trie based implementations of set and map, for the classes that model
the concept.