From: Younes M (younes.m_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-22 19:58:28

On 3/21/07, Stefan Seefeld <seefeld_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Actually, I don't think the issue here is GUI vs. CLI. Instead, it's
> about how robust and scalable the testing harness is. Think of it as
> a multi-tier design, where the UI is just a simple 'frontend' layer.
> Some layer underneath proides an API that lets you query about what
> tests exist (matching some suitable criteria, such as name pattern matching,
> or filtering per annotations), together with metadata.
>
> That, together with other queries such as 'give me all platforms this
> test is expected to fail on' would be very valuable for the release
> process.
> (All this querying doesn't involve actually running any tests.)

Ah, I think I understand what you mean by introspection. What you're
suggesting is for the frontend to parse the test suite source files
and build a picture of the test suite that way, such that the
developer can see the tests and associated info (e.g. type of test,
which case it's located in, source file, etc), view/sort/group them by
criteria, operate on them (e.g. enable/disable/etc), and then be able
to run the test suite and have a seperate view for the resulting
report(s).