From: Johan Nilsson (r.johan.nilsson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-23 03:44:38

Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> Peter Dimov wrote:

[snip]

>> This is the whole point of an abstraction. The only reason we aren't
>> using it on Windows is because Microsoft doesn't supply it.
>
> Uhmm.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2004/Jan04/01-15ServicesforUNIX2004PR.mspx
>
> <quote>
>
> Microsoft's Newest Version of Windows Services for UNIX Is Now
> Available
> Free of Charge

Sure, it's free of charge. The problem is that you can't write apps using
Win32 that use SFU pthreads code, IIUC.

I attempted to use SFU 3.5 some time ago to provide a "glue" layer between
some legacy UNIX apps/libraries and some new Win32 code and, at least at
that point, it was not possible to create a library with SFU that could be
linked to from MSVC created applications. I had a discussion with one of
the engineers and he told me that it was on their todo list (and I guess
it still is): http://tinyurl.com/25nbyq

Also, requiring anyone to install a new subsystem just to be able to use
something as common as threads in C++ is overkill. I'm not implying that
Win32 threads are superior to pthreads (I don't know and I don't care),
that's not the point here.

Regards,

Johan