From: Howard Hinnant (hinnant_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-26 17:17:07

On Mar 26, 2007, at 5:03 PM, Roland Schwarz wrote:

> Howard Hinnant wrote:
>> t.cancel() is the same as t.raise(std::thread_canceled)
>
> But semantics of cancel is different, no?
> Cancel is expected to bring the thread down, yes?
>
> Not so raise, it just is sending kind of a signal to the thread.
> (The slot being catch clause).

I swear (lays hand on backup disk) on my backup disk, all N2184 (and
N2178 as I understand it) wants of C++ cancellation is to request that
the target thread (whenever it gets around to it, if ever) throw a
normal C++ exception, which the target thread is free to subsequently
catch, swallow and digest. :-)

-Howard