From: Howard Hinnant (hinnant_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-27 14:55:00

On Mar 27, 2007, at 2:40 PM, Peter Dimov wrote:

> Howard Hinnant wrote:
>
>> What if the above use case uses vector<MyClass> where MyClass
>> contains
>> a lot of expensive resources (or other data that needs to be kept
>> around for one reason or another) *plus* a std::thread?
>
> Well...
>
> void old_detach()
> {
> new_detach();
> *this = std::thread();
> }

<shrug> I don't see sufficient motivation for new_detach(). I'm still
trying to model pthreads semantics. I feel underqualified to invent
and standardize new semantics for threading. Having two flavors of
join (that I just suggested) is pretty radical for old staid
conservative me. I'm not sure how much more excitement I can take! :-)

-Howard