From: me22 (me22.ca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-30 19:59:06

On 3/30/07, Eric Lemings <lemings_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> '2.0 * pi' is a logical expression. '2.0 * seconds' is not and I
> can't imagine how anyone can think such an expression is "good design".

I think that it's the most readable of the options. It's not going to
be possible to have '2.0 seconds' work, so it's reasonable. Just like
prefixed Kleene Stars in Spirit, it's the closest to the DSL that can
be done. And the mathematical meaning of adjacency is multiplication,
so the * is a good choice. It also makes the most sense in
conjunction with /, which is going to be there.

What do *you* think would be "good design"? It seems to me as though
the most straight-forward alternative, 'metre(9.8) / second(1) /
second(1)' is much uglier than '9.8 * metres / (second*second)' for no
apparent gain.

~ Scott McMurray