From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-01 11:49:03

Peter Dimov wrote:
> Jeff Garland wrote:
>
>> The bottleneck I see is the regression testers. Right now Thomas
>> needs them to keep running against 1.34 for final patches he's adding
>> in. Going forward, I believe we will need significant time and energy
>> from the regression runners as we test the subversion switchover.
>> What I'd like to see happen is that instead of going back to main
>> branch after Thomas is done we swap the regression testers over to
>> the 1.35 branch immediately. The folks testing main can be the first
>> beta-testers for subversion switchover.
>
> The problem with this scheme - from a library developer point of view - is
> that one cannot experiment with new features since nobody is testing HEAD.
> One possible outcome is then for 1.35 to become a de-facto HEAD and absorb
> most of the new development.

It wouldn't be for long b/c the end date of the release would be fixed :-)
And maybe now is the time to try and find a few more regression runners so we
can do more branches at once.

BTW, I don't know if this has been discussed much, but the plan for subversion
switchover, as I understand it, is to take 1.34 as the svn HEAD and force all
work unstable stuff on the CVS HEAD to be brought over using the new process.

Jeff