From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-01 12:13:15

Rene Rivera wrote:
> Jeff Garland wrote:

>>> Most of the work is done. When we're ready to switch (and *after*
>>> 1.34.0 is out the door), we'll ask for a 24-hour window to make sure
>>> we have enough time for the cvs2svn conversion and import (roughly 8
>>> hours of crunching), and to deal with any issues that might crop up.
>> Doug, while I agree that most of the work for switching the repository itself
>> is on track, I don't believe any of the "other work" has been done.
>> Specifically, I mean the regression scripts and procedure writeups. It's my
>> view that if we can't make the switch until these tasks are complete. And I
>> suspect we really need some volunteers to make this happen...
>
> Now I'm starting to get confused. Before you said that you didn't expect
> that library authors would have to do much for the switch. And now you

Maybe I shouldn't have said 'won't' ;-)

> are saying it's not a small amount of work. Whom other than lib authors
> is going to update the documentation, test scripts, build scripts,
> whatever?

I honestly don't know how much work it is because I've never seen a full
accounting of the needed changes, but it will take some time. All developers,
will, of course, have to do some learning about svn, but most of us have
already started down this path so I don't think that will take alot of time.

As for build/regression stuff it might be 'a library author' that updates the
regression script, but really, most of us are totally unqualified to do that
work. We need to recruit new blood to get things like the docs updated...

> Personally I think it's foolish to rely on a small number of
> people to do the switch work.

I agree, the more help the better. But we also shouldn't force the new library
authors to shoulder that load of updating the regression script. We should
let them focus on getting their libs ported and ready for release in my view.

> And the only way I know of, from
> experience, to ensure we get authors to help is to force them do the
> work. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's true.

There's no forcing here...only gentle encouragement.

Jeff