From: Stjepan Rajko (stipe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-01 21:25:34

On 5/1/07, Sohail Somani <s.somani_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> [...]

Sorry, I sent you the wrong link... oops. The actual link is:

dancinghacker.com/code/marshal/

Apologies.

A call rpc(f,a1,a2), to use that notation, is itself modeled roughly
as call<R(T1,T2)> this_particular_call(f,a1,a2) which inherits
call_base (which does provide a polymorphic interface). f (function
identifier), a1 and a2 are all serialized within the call class, and
after a a call rpc_client(this_particular_call) and sent over the
network. The syntax can be made to look like it's just a local
function call, but the guts of it look like what I described.

On the other side, a registry_server receives the packet, unserializes
the function id, and calls a marshaled<R(T1,T2)> wrapper of the actual
function. The marshaled class takes care of unserializing the
parameters and calling the actual function, then the results get
marshaled back etc.

Stjepan