From: Thorsten Ottosen (thorsten.ottosen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-03 06:30:41

Brook Milligan skrev:
> > This note is to announce the release of a library for handling
> > probability and likelihood quantities, together with their logarithms,
> > in a consistent and (when desired) transparent manner.

> > If a native floating point type is used for probabilities and
> > likelihoods,

You should probably define those terms in the documentation.

> > The purpose of this library is to encapsulate both probability and
> > likelihood quantities within an appropriate set of types, while
> > simultaneously achieving the following design goals.

> > - Incur no runtime cost. That is, all type manipulations should be
> > performed at compile time.

That does not strike me as quite the same.

> > - Ensure that the layout of arrays and structures of probability and
> > likelihood quantities is identical to the corresponding layout for
> > the underlying value type.

Good. But It still needs to be testet if the performance equals that
of normal arrays or matrices of floats.

> > Thanks for your input. I hope this library is close to Boost
> > standards and can be improved to the point of being a worthwhile
> > inclusion within the set of libraries.

It seems like a good start.

I can only say, that if the runtime performance cost is zero, then
I would find the library very interesting, and I would not hessitate
to use it in my work on Bayesian Networks.

best regards

-Thorsten