From: Anthony Williams (anthony_w.geo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-03 13:16:38

"Gennadiy Rozental" <gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden]> writes:

[snipped lots of sensible stuff]

> VI Boost release
>
> The boost release is done automatically every predefined period of time
> (like three month). It requires NO testing, NO branching and NO
> merging/reverting. It's done by single script (a bit oversimplification, but
> close) that does these tasks:
>
> 1. It iterates through all components and check any component that was
> released since previous boost release.
> Very important: The component should NOT depend on older version of
> component that is being released. For example if library A depends on
> version 1.23 of library B and version 1.24 of library B was released,
> library A won't become part of the next boost release.

Here I don't understand. Suppose Boost release X contains library A version
1.4, and library B version 1.23, and library A depends on library B. The
developer of library B then releases a new version (1.24), and the author of
library A doesn't. The next Boost release (Y) comes along, and now library A
is no longer part of the Boost release? That strikes me as a bad plan --- the
contents of Boost will vary from release to release as developers update their
libraries at different rates.

As an alternative, how about this: if library A depends on version xyz of
library B, then library B is pinned at version xyz for Boost releases until
library A is updated. If library A is not updated for n consecutive Boost
releases, library A is dropped from Boost as unmaintained.

How about this, also: a library developer can only release their library if it
is built against the latest released version of all its dependent
libraries. That way if a core library is updated, all other libraries will
have to use the new version before they can release.

Anthony

--
Anthony Williams
Just Software Solutions Ltd - http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk