From: Nicola Musatti (Nicola.Musatti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-04 18:26:16

Robert Ramey wrote:
> Nicola Musatti wrote:
[...]
>> This is going to make it incredibly hard to use in the same project
>> both serialization and any of the libraries that changed since you
>> set up your environment.
>
> Why? one would have on his machine either
>
> a) last boost release version
> b) or last boost release version + validated upgrades.

The problems of using a separate version of Spirit make me weary.

[...]
>> A better approach would be to separate from core Boost some of the
>> larger libraries once and for all. I'm thinking of Serialization,
>> Spirit, Python, possibly a few others. In most cases other libraries
>> should not depend on these (i.e. Preprocessor is not a good
>> candidate).
>
> It seems that this is functionally equivalent to my proposal.

Except that this state of things would be officially recognized across
Boost and there would be no separate patches.

[...]
> So, you're agreeing with me? or not?

I do agree with the idea of developing Serialization (and possibly other
libraries) separately from what I called Boost Core. I wish this could
happen in a more official, agreed upon way.

Cheers,
Nicola Musatti