From: Andy (atompkins_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-07 11:38:28

Matthias Troyer <troyer_at_[hidden]> wrote in

> On 6 May 2007, at 17:24, Peter Dimov wrote:
>
>> Matthias Troyer wrote:
>>
>>> Thus, to summarize, the serialization of guid does not work since
>>> there is no serialization support for boost::array yet. This bug was
>>> masked by decalring the type primitive which works - by chance not
>>> not intent - for the text based archives. In order to fix
>>> serialization one has to
>>>
>>> - remove the declaration as primitive type
>>> - write serialization support for boost::array
>>> - include that header

I declared the guid type as a primitive because I believed that it made
sense for it to be a primitive. I only wanted 16 bytes to be written when
using a binary archive. Thank you for looking in to this! I didn't know
why it didn't work for binary archives or why it did work for text
archives. I meant to get back to this but forgot. I had no idea that
marking it primitive masked these problems and by chance it worked. I
don't know a lot about the Boost Serialization library, but I want to
make guids serializable. If it shouldn't be a primitive type, then I
won't make it one.

>> Follow-up question. What needs to be included if guid::data_ is
>> defined as
>> unsigned char[16] instead of boost::array?

If this is best, I'll do this. No problem. I guess sometimes I go a
little overboard and use boost libraries when I don't need to.

> In that case the standard headers included by the archive class will
> have all necessary functions and no header will need to be included
> by the guid library

Andy.