From: Brad King (brad.king_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-07 14:20:43

Doug Gregor wrote:
> On May 7, 2007, at 10:46 AM, Eric Niebler wrote:
>
>> Doug Gregor wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>> The question, as always is, if we "buy" into a different system---
>>> say, CMake---will we end up saving ourselves and our users more time
>>> overall? I suspect that with CMake and DART, the answer is "yes".
>>> However, like Eric, I just don't have the time to make this happen...
>>> and I'm a little reluctant given my previous failed attempt.
>> Why did your previous attempt fail?
>
> Dart failed to gain traction because the client involves Tcl scripts,
> and there was a significant resistance to requiring regression
> testers to have Tcl installed on their systems.

FYI, CMake now comes with CTest which is a full DART client, so there is
no need to install Tcl on every system anymore. There is now also a
DART "2" that provides much more flexible display of testing results.
IIRC, the new DART requires only java and a web server on the server
side. CTest supports submission to both DART versions.

Here is the DART "2" dashboard for CMake itself:

http://dart.na-mic.org/CMake/Dashboard/

and for a much larger project more on boost's scale:

http://dart.na-mic.org/Insight/Dashboard/

CMake now also comes with CPack which creates configuration files for
native packaging tools. The 2.4 CPack version is beta but is already
good enough to package the CMake release itself.

Together CMake, CTest and CPack provide a full development, testing, and
distribution tool suite. They all come in a single installer.

-Brad