From: Maurizio Vitale (maurizio.vitale_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-09 12:33:36

On May 9, 2007, at 12:13 PM, Eric Niebler wrote:

> Maurizio Vitale wrote:
>> Eric Niebler <eric_at_[hidden]> writes:
>>
>>> Tough questions. You've touched on a weakness of proto. I hope to
>>> make
>>> improvements in this area after BoostCon ...
>>
>> I think proto is a very nice addition to boost, and I'm sure with
>> a few touches to make it
>> easier to use for applications different from what it has been
>> designed for it can get
>> rapidly to the point it can be submitted formally.
>
> Fair. This particular area certainly needs improvement. But are you
> also
> referring to your desire for something like proto::eval() to work even
> when you don't have an expression object to evaluate?

No I was not thinking of that, although it seems very easy to support
from a first look at the current implementation

> I don't consider
> that a common use case.

I didn't mean to imply that you've to support all I need. That
particular feature is probably better done in an
application specific way. I've looked at context.hpp and it should
very easy to steal from it
and I think that way I can accommodate the case when values can be
compile-time constants
or run-time values (another one of the mails I've sent, where I have
a need for two transforms for doing
something that should have been simpler.
I don't think you've seen it, maybe because of my clock screw-up at
the time).

The main reason I'm throwing my application specific needs out there
is to discover whether there's a proto
way to achieve what I need. If there's I'll use it, otherwise it's up
to you and others in the boost
core team to decide whether something not considered before is
general enough for inclusion.

Best regards,

        Maurizio