From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-09 12:35:01

on Wed May 09 2007, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman-AT-kitware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed the "boost development process / scope" thread on your list.
> A CMake user posted a link to your discussion. There is significant
> interest in the CMake community to help boost transition to CMake.
> Several people on the CMake list have volunteered to help, and
> Kitware is willing to put about 2 man weeks of effort into the
> conversion.

Whoa; that's a very significant development.

> I think that CMake has all the features to do what you need at this point,
> but if any bugs or issues are discovered during the process, we can fix
> them and/or provide work-arounds for the issues.
>
> I realize you have not yet decided on moving to CMake, but I thought
> I would put out this offer so that you could consider "free" support
> as one of the benefits you will receive from the port to CMake.

That's huge.

I want to discuss our requirements, though, and make sure that they
will actually be satisfied. One question on my mind: how much of what
Boost.Build provides is already in the CMake system, and how much
would have to be implemented on top of that, in CMake files? If
there's a lot that would have to live outside of CMake itself, the
value of a switch would be reduced. My main concern is that we
satisfy most of
http://www.boost.org/tools/build/v1/build_system.htm#design_criteria

> I can see this happening in two ways. One would be for a CMake developer
> to create initial cmake files for boost, and get the basics working. Then,
> the work would be turned over to the Boost community. The other way
> would be to have a boost developer create the build files with help and
> support
> from the CMake community. Either way works for me. Of course,
> no one will want to do anything unless there is a commitment to
> actually use CMake.

Unfortunately I don't think Boost can commit to using CMake until we
see that it can work for us. That would mean at least getting the
basics working. Do we have a chicken-and-egg problem here?

I for one am very grateful for the offer, and hope that we can take
advantage of it.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting