From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-09 14:39:55

Doug Gregor wrote:

> The only one I'm not sure about is:
>
> - It should be possible to build multiple variants of multiple
> targets with multiple compilers from a single build command.
>
> I think this particular requirement is actually a problem itself: it
> only really helps Boost developers that want to quickly test on a
> couple of compilers. The majority of users will typically use Boost
> one just one compiler (especially those users picking up Boost for
> the first time, who are most put-off by a complicated build system).
> It's just as easy, if not easier, to keep separate build trees (one
> per compiler) rather than cram everything into a single build tree.

FWIW, I fully agree. This is a pure convenience that could easily be
added on top by some simple canned command (or script).

There is nothing in such a multi-build that would profit from
a single command, no shared dependencies, etc., so there shouldn't
be any reason to make that a requirement on the build system itself.

Regards,
                Stefan