From: Glenn Schrader (gschrad_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-09 16:06:00

John Biddiscombe wrote:
>> * It should be possible to build multiple variants of multiple
>> targets with multiple compilers from a single build command.
>>

> This is the only one that jumped out as being out of order, however,
> having read the rest of the thread that followed I can say that one
> approach that works (at least for linux/win32) is that the CMake build
> step can actually generate scripts which can then be called from another
> script

This actually isn't necessary. We've been using CMake for a number of
years to build libraries and applications for multiple targets from the
same source tree. Using CMake '-D' command line options allow variables
to be set within CMake. A CMake file can also conditionally include
other CMake file fragments. We use this to select cross compile
toolsets, different support libraries, (etc). We actually have a
directory structure similar to boost where object files are held in
compile target specific sub-trees. This all works pretty well but there
are a few CMake syntax convenience improvements that would be nice to
have (e.g. case statements as well as if-then-else).

-glenn