From: Kevin Wheatley (hxpro_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-10 06:25:05

my 2p (about 4 cents)

I use Boost Build to build a number of libraries and applications
across Linux (2 versions) and Windows. For me the nice thing is I have
one set of declarations about what to include in building libraries
and applications.

I edit these files or my source files and type a single command on
both platforms to build in parallel (multiple jobs) of what I need. I
use the same command on both platforms and don't have to think about
how to do it on each platform.

It supports building Qt4 applications, it executes all my tests, I
even have it discovering and executing my test code automagically by
using globing of directories (convention over configuration).

I perform a lot of incremental building and need the build to start as
soon as possible, so ideally I'd like cached dependency generation and
for the first build command to start as soon as the system works out
anything needs to be done. Ideally I'd like saving a file in my editor
to start the build whether I changed a build script/file or a source
code file - thats why I don't like 'configure; make; foo; bar' chains
of execution unless they all support the incremental approach.

I'm not saying boost build is perfect (it takes a long time to decide
to do nothing compared to a previous make based solution) but it works
cross platform and on balance that won out for me.

Kevin

--
| Kevin Wheatley, Cinesite (Europe) Ltd | Nobody thinks this      |
| Senior Technology                     | My employer for certain |