From: Gennadiy Rozental (gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-11 00:53:39

"Braddock Gaskill" <braddock_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Just my 2 cent testimonial...
>
> In January I moved a moderate-sized commercial project from Makefiles to
> CMake.
> I think I was more powerful after a week with CMake than after ten years
> with
> makefiles and autoconf. Build dependencies comes effortlessly (no more
> clumsy
> -MM hacks), VPATH builds are the norm, and unit tests are handled by
> design.

Could you please give more details about testing, since this is part boost
will be interrested in for sure,

> Then we do the Windows port, and a few minor improvements to the CMakeList
> file
> to find dependencies and the whole shebang is building cross-platform
> under
> Visual Studio. Then we try out KDevelop, and a simple `cmake -G
> KDevelop3`
> provides us with project files with zero additional effort. We now have

I did not get it from above statement

Did Cmake build your project or just created "project file"?

> different developers simultaneously using KDevelop, using vim/make, and
> using
> MSVC++ on Windows, no problem.
>
> The real rough spots are documentation, and the lack of clear standard
> usage.
>
> CMake documentation is confusing. CMake has been a moving (improving)
> target
> during the past couple years. As a result, there seems to be a lot of
> conflicting documentation floating around.

Hmm. We REALLY don't want to get into another "Build system as moving
target" situation. Again.

Gennadiy