From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-15 09:41:28

Douglas Gregor wrote:

> On May 15, 2007, at 3:33 AM, Jürgen Hunold wrote:
>> An'n Dingsdag 15 Mai 2007 hett Vladimir Prus schreven:
>>> I believe this is intentional change made in Boost.Test for 1.34,
>>> in the
>>> interest of making Linux (where 'main' can be in shared library) and
>>> Windows (where 'main' cannot be in shared library), uniform.
>>
>> Yes, that was the intention
>
> I understand the reasoning---uniformity of behavior across
> platforms---but I believe this change was a mistake. My rationale
> follows.
>
> When linking on Windows, if both a DLL and a static library are
> available, which one does the linker choose?

Such situation is impossible on Windows, as you cannot link to
DLL directly, and you cannot have both static lib and import lib
have the same name.

That said, I don't know what point you was trying to make,
so I don't know if my clarification changes that point ;-)

And finally, since this does not appear to be a Boost.Build
issue whatsoever, I'm going to let you and Gennadiy sort it out.

- Volodya