From: Kim Barrett (kab_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-24 18:50:20

At 9:27 AM +0100 5/24/07, John Maddock wrote:
>Kim Barrett wrote:
>>At 9:36 AM +0100 5/23/07, John Maddock wrote:
>>>I've applied the patch to the 1.34 branch, applying the patch to cvs
>>>HEAD gives me some errors:
>>>
>>>$ patch -p1 -i kab*.patch
>>
>>I think your problem is right there. There were two patch files in the
>>tarball:
>>
>>kab-iostreams-RC_1_34_0.patch -- apply this to a sandbox that is on
>>the RC_1_34_0 branch
>>
>>kab-iostreams-trunk.patch -- apply this to a sandbox that is on HEAD.
>>
>>Don't try to apply both patches to one place.
>
>I wasn't, I extracted each file separately to different Boost trees.
>Only the trunk patch is present, but it still fails with the
>messages shown.

Hm. The trunk patch applies cleanly for me, both against the dated
tree I created it against and against a fresh cvs tree from a few minutes
ago. But I have a suspicion of what the problem might be. You performed
tests against various windows compilers and cygwin-gcc. I'm going to guess
that you are applying the patch on a windows machine, either under windows
or under cygwin. I both developed the patch and just verified that it
applied cleanly on linux. The two files that failed to patch cleanly for
you both have RC_1_34_0 branch changes since HEAD that are being back
ported to HEAD. Among the changes for both of these files are newline
cleanups:

http://boost.cvs.sourceforge.net/boost/boost/libs/iostreams/doc/tree/tree.css?view=log
see version 1.4.4.1

http://boost.cvs.sourceforge.net/boost/boost/libs/iostreams/test/putback_test.hpp?view=log
see version 1.4.4.1

I suspect some confusion in the patch creation / application process
around the different newline representations is biting us here. I'm
attaching a tarball containing the two files in question, post patch.